Saturday, December 4, 2010

Number 2 In The Standings, Number 10 In Our Hearts

Anybody that knows me, knows I love to mock the Chicago Cubs (and there is much to mock).  A favorite target of my buffoonery was the overly emotional, often misspoken radio color commentator Ron Santo.  But unlike my criticisms of the various ass clowns that inhabit the bleachers (or left field) at Wrigley Field, my teasing of Santo the kind reserved for good friends and loved ones.

I'm too young to remember Santo as a player, I don't like the Cubs and didn't think he was a good broadcaster.  What struck me about Ron was the way Cubs fans connected with him.  You may find it hard to believe, but some of my favorite people are Cubs fans and they lived and died (so to speak) with Ronnie.  His pain was their pain when Brant Brown dropped the ball, when Sammy Sosa corked his bat and when "you know who" caught that foul ball.  His laughter was their laughter when he burned his toupee in Shea Stadium.  His joy was their joy when the Cubs won their division.

Looks like it's time to break out This Old Cub.  Good bye Ronnie, you will be missed.  Even by the enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment